Ryan Tarantola, M.D.
Ryan Tarantola, M.D. currently serves patients in Pensacola, Crestview, and Fort Walton Beach in Florida. He also serves both Atmore and Foley, in Alabama.
Saving sight and treating patients with vitreoretinal disease has been a long-time passion for Dr. Tarantola. He joined Retina Specialty Institute in 2012 after holding a position as Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at St. Louis University where he was involved in patient care, resident education, and clinical research.
His particular interest in vitreoretinal surgery was strongly influenced by observing his grandfather’s struggles with progressive vision loss due to age-related macular degeneration. He aspires to treat each patient in the same manner that he would a member of his own family, and he is committed to providing the highest quality care possible. Dr. Tarantola places a high priority on patient education and spends the necessary time to ensure that each patient understands his or her condition and treatment plan.
Dr. Tarantola has multiple active research interests, including studies involving macular holes, diabetic macular edema and the screening and prevention of age-related macular degeneration. Dr. Tarantola has presented at conferences across the nation and is published in numerous peer-reviewed journals in ophthalmological publications. Additionally, he has been involved in a number of clinical trials and serves as a reviewer for multiple ophthalmic journals.
His accomplishments and experiences include:
- Joined Retina Specialty Institute in 2012
- Board Certified, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Featured as an expert speaker at conferences across the nation
- Extensively published researcher in vitreoretinal disease and surgery
- Medical journal reviewer
- Archives of Ophthalmology
- Retinal Cases and Brief Reports
- Journal of Visualized Experiments
- Investigator in ophthalmic clinical trials
- Fellowship in vitreoretinal surgery, University of Iowa
- Ophthalmology Residency and Chief Resident, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- M.D., Saint Louis University School of Medicine
- A.B., Biology, Magna Cum Laude, Washington University